|Sykes Cottages are now seeking multiple Developers to join our award-winning Technology department at our Chester head office.
As part of an exciting phase at Sykes Cottages, we are seeking passionate and technically talented Developers for multiple teams across the business including our Owner Retention, Owner Acquisition, Enterprise and CRO teams. Our newest Developers will joining our 120 strong Tech department, crucial in building our in-house Property Management Software set up to manage not only Sykes Customer and Owner bookings but the onboarding of additional acquisitions and sister brands into our portfolio.
Our newest Developers will sit at the heart of our team, crucial in implementing technical solutions that fulfil the commercial ambitions of the business and as such will have the following key skills:
Essential to have:
- At least two years’ experience of software engineering in a commercial setting
- Experience of PHP MVC frameworks such as Laravel, Symfony or CodeIgniter
- Experience of using Test Driven Development in commercial projects;
- Demonstrable record of delivering high-quality object-oriented code and using SOLID principles;
- A strong grasp of MySQL with the ability to identify problematic or costly queries;
- Experience of Agile development methodologies e.g. Scrum
- Experience with REST APIs including less common HTTP Verbs.
Nice to have:
- Experience with many aspects of Amazon Web Services, ideally ECS
- Exposure to Continuous Delivery tools such as Bamboo or Jenkins
- Front-end styling frameworks such as SASS & Bootstrap
- UNIX command line
- An understanding of microservice architectures
- Docker containers
|We are seeking Developers who share in our passion for innovation, who eat, sleep and breathe Tech and would thrive in a collaborative and forward thinking environment working alongside like-minded individuals. We are proud of our Tech department who house some of the best local tech talent in the area - all working together to put innovation at the heart of all we do as a department.
Our newest Developers will be reporting into our Lead Developers and will be responsible for the following:
- Create well crafted, scalable and resilient solutions used both by colleagues and the public
- Own the delivery of software into the business
- Participate in sprint planning to deliver regular iterations, and retrospectives to improve our processes
- Promote software development best practices
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to clarify ambiguous requirements and taking corrective action for issues in production
- Perform exploratory work to investigate new technologies that we can leverage to solve business problems, as well as sizing changes to our existing platform
- Reviewing colleagues’ code submissions, coaching enhancements, encouraging standards and identifying bugs